Thursday, April 18, 2013

Flooded

I'm not sure why, but April has been a very strange month. I have seen lots of strange this, and encountered lots of strange things. Don't ask me why. I have no answer. Strange things since yesterday. As I was on my way to school, I happened to look over into a grassy area and there were three turkeys. In the middle of Peoria. Right by all the traffic. They looked out of place. I wondered if I look like that sometimes. I probably do. I got my dress for the wedding on Sunday. Actually on Sunday I was in Kansas City for an invite. It was completely last minute. Like 10:30 p.m. Friday night last minute. We left at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. It was a pretty good invite. It was small, but I'm sure the Kansas City congregation appreciated the extra visitors. So anyways, I got my dress. I tried it on. It doesn't fit right. No one believed me, so I took it to church last night and tried it on for Ashley and Angie. They said it won't work. It doesn't look like the other bridesmaids. Great. Two days before pictures. Luckily my mom called the lady who made it and she is able to hopefully fix it tonight after work. Hopefully it all works out well. Yesterday night right when we were closing at work, it was super stormy. The other teller was already in the entry way and I was doing last minute closing procedures. All of a sudden there was a big flash of lightening and something inside got electrocuted. I don't know what it was, but it did make me jump a little. Ok, it made be jump a lot. Everything seemed fine, and I haven't heard anything of it so it must be fine. So most of you know it is raining here. Like a lot. Like I don't think I have every seen this much rain before. So at 11:30 last night, I was getting ready for bed, and I was tired and just finished a big project. Cassie comes into my room and says, "My carpet is wet." Great. Mine was a bit wet in a corner too. I woke up at 2:00 in the morning and hear some sort of scrubbing. I get down from by bunk bed and step into my floor. Water pools around my feet. Disgusting. So our basement is flooded. In the 8 years since we built and moved into the house, we have NEVER had this problem. This morning I walked up stairs and Dad had his swim shoes at the top of the stairs. He even stayed home from work Both Heartland and Princeville were closed today. I guess they call it a rain day. Of course I am in school. All my family is home except me. I guess that's what happens when you grow up. Oh well. I had a big presentation today in one of my child development classes, so I was thankful it didn't get canceled. Me and my partner have been working on it for a couple of weeks, and we were kind of nervous about it. Our teacher does not give a lot of instruction, so we didn't know exactly what she expected. We were the first group to go, and we asked to go first that way our teacher wouldn't have anyone to judge us off of. The other girl that went today was very confident. My partner asked her if she was ready for the presentation and she said, "Yep, I have everything right here." It wasn't a competition or anything. We did really well, and made ours super creative, which is a plus for a child development teacher. She was very impressed. We were so happy, because we didn't know how well we would do. Anyways, I'm so glad that is off my shoulders and now I have a stressful weekend ahead of me:) It's still raining here, but it's not too bad. I still like rain better than snow, even if it is soaking all our carpet downstairs. Hope you all are having a great day/week. May you let the light of Jesus shine through you even when it's raining!

3 comments:

  1. I could imagine how disgusted you were when the water floods actually reached inside your room. I hope no valuables were destroyed by the flood. It’s completely understandable that you were unprepared, as this is the first time your house was flooded in almost a decade. Stay safe this rainy season!

    Barry Chavez @ Carsons Cleaning & Restoration

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a sight to wake up to. I can only imagine how jarring it was, notwithstanding very problematic. You can only save as much appliances and other properties as you can, and yet you'd still have to deal with the welled-up water too. A service or two should be ready to remedy that particular problem, namely the latter, which could be menial at first, but could be bringing bacteria and other soil erosions with a flood deluge. Take care!

    Julian Walters @ My Basement Water Proofing NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite a mess. Good thing your father was well-prepared for floods, even if you haven’t experienced it before. Anyway, it’s great that amidst the heavy rain, you were able to prepare for your report and present it well. I do hope you were able to implement measures as to prevent the same mishap from happening again. How are you?

    Mildred Mclaughlin @ Better Basement Technologies, LLC

    ReplyDelete