Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sunshine Boxes

About 2 weeks ago, some of us had an open Thursday. We were wondering what we could do. We racked our brains with things to do in Peoria(not much), and finally came to the conclusion to go bowling. As I was driving home, I just felt really convicted that all I do is for my own selfish pleasure. It is sometimes difficult to think of things to do for others, but I came up with the idea of doing sunshine boxes for some of the elderly people in Princeville. So I texted the Princeville girls, and asked who was available. On my way home from work, I stopped at Target to pick up yellow items. My cart seriously looked like the sun. I wonder if anyone noticed that everything was yellow. It was fun going up and down the aisles looking for yellow stuff. On Wednesday night I designed some sunshine quotes and a note to go along with our boxes. At Hannah Schick's we wrapped the boxes and assembled the boxes. It was such a good evening, and it was so much more fulfilling than doing something else. I know that in the my last book review I posted on how it is better to let good deeds go unnoticed, but I guess I am posting this more for a challenge to my readers to do something similar and also to give you an idea of how to do it. 

 Hannah and I assembled these Cowboy cookie mix jars. There were too many ingredients so we had to put some of them ziploc bags. We only made up the jars for the ones who had kitchens, a lot of the boxes went to the nursing home where Princeville people live. For the ones who do not have kitchens, we made a batch of the cookies and sent it along with the box.
Our faithful wrappers. They did an excellent job.


This is what the boxes looked like.
 And our faithful cutters of the paper:)
 This is what the inside looked like. It was jam packed. Here's what we put in it: Cookie jar mix, Lay's chips, lemonade packet, Burt's beeswax, Werther's caramels, butterfingers, Reese's eggs, lemon hand sanitizer, stationary(for the ladies), Tazo citrus tea, kleenexs, butterscotch candy, highlighter, bag of yellow candy, bag of oreos(with yellow filling, it's there spring kind). I'm sure I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's a majority. We lined the bottom of the box with yellow tissue paper, and them added a bag of yellow grass to each box. It was like $0.50 per bag. We estimated that each box was about $10, which was pretty good. We did approximately 10 boxes and then did 2 gift bags with some of the extra stuff. The dollar bin at Target was great:)


Theses are the papers that went along with it.
It was so fun making these, but it was even better handing them out. Everyone was so appreciative, and one lady I took it to was having a bit of a rough night, and it really made her feel better. These people really deserve it. We can learn so much for them, and these boxes can't even begin to give them what they have given us. Their faithfulness truly is such an inspiration to us to keep on fighting the fight of faith. I was so proud of the girls who showed up, because I'm sure they could have found other ways to spend their night, but instead used it to bless others. So thanks girls. God really used you that night! I hope to do this next winter also.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this! There are a few ladies in my church whom I would love to give this too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete