Monday, February 11, 2013

My Space

(NOTE: I wrote this yesterday, but didn't actually post it until today) It all started one day this week when Mom and Dad decided that Cassie needed to move out of her room with Tessa and Sophie, so naturally they asked us who would be willing to let Cassie move into their room. Well, none of us wanted to share a room. My argument was I have the smallest room in the house, which I do, but my sisters will not agree to that. Also, I have acquired quite a bit of stuff in the last year, and by stuff I don't mean clothes. Rather photography props or decorations that do not match my room. Anyways, they decided to turn our school room which was going to be a future kitchen into a bedroom for Cassie. Pretty much she has a stove and refrigerator and all the plumbing holes in her new bedroom. Oh, and it doesn't have a door, so anyone can pretty much go in there whenever they want. Her dresser is an old and I mean old changing table. Ok it's probably not that old, but I bet it's at least as old as me! Problem number one: She had no bed. Problem number two: they took half of my bunk bed away from me. Actually I think it is called more of a loft bed. It has a regular top bunk, but then the bottom sticks out vertically with a desk and shelves on either side of the bottom bed. I love it. I sleep on the top actually, because then I have to climb down in the morning to shut off my alarm clock, which motivates me not to hit the snooze button. So far it's been working pretty good:) So they took my bottom bunk which leaves a huge empty gap. I thought it looked so bare and ugly so yesterday while I was cleaning I came up with a genius plan. I could make a curtain to go over the hole! I knew we had some sheer curtains that were very old and ugly that my parents had in their room at our old house, so I went on a hunt for them. I quickly found them and measured them up to the whole and decided they would work. So, next I sewed the top over a bit so a rod could fit through it. I did not even care what color the thread was or if it was straight. No one was going to see that part anyways. The hardest part was finding a rod. I searched high and low. And when I mean I and low that means I looked all over the basement, upstairs, and even up in the attic. I looked in the shed and anywhere I thought I might find a rod, but could not find any that would even remotely fit. I finally found one in the attic. I have no idea what kind of rod it is, but it has two holes on each end. I actually think it was for an old baby swing. Notice the "was". It is now a curtain rod. Next I had to find some screws and an electric screwdriver. Those weren't too hard to find. It was easier finding them than using them. Too put it nicely, I am not much of a carpenter. Believe me, it was difficult using that screwdriver. I had to go to the top bunk and pick up my mattress and then pick up the board underneath that and get them to stay in one position. Then I tried screwing the rod down, but it was very difficult, because I had never really used one and my arm was in an awkward position due to the tight space. It all worked out and now I have a cute little space under my bed that I can read and do homework and stuff like that. The lovely burgundy curtains don't quite match my lime green walls, but I have given up on anything matching in my room anymore. My bed spread is light blue and yellow, so that matches great too;) I was pretty proud of myself, so when Grandpa and Grandma and Adam and Brittany came over after testimonies last night, I just HAD to show them. Adam said I will make a good wife. I always have to remind them that there is a difference between a wife and a homemaker:) I thought I would include some pictures of the finished project and also notice my color schemes. Lovely, right?
 It's finished!
 So cozy:)
 The bar I used
Oops! Guess I'm not cut out to be a carpenter:) Good thing it doesn't show.

No comments:

Post a Comment